A bunch of OGP developers are getting together on Wednesday, January 11th at 4pm Eastern Time. If you want to join us, email Steve McDonald (Stephen.McDonald@tufts.edu). Here’s our agenda:
- Status Update – what people are doing
- Berkeley’s Project
- Solr Schema Changes
- Questions – Protected content programming
Here’s the details on Berkeley’s project:
Here at Berkeley, we have about 40,000 scanned maps, mostly from topographic map sets. These maps have to be georeferenced, which is a long process, but we can assign bounding boxes to each file/sheet. We would like to make these maps available to our patrons for searching and visualizing while we are working on georeferencing them. We have managed to get non-georeferenced images into Geoserver, so we can use the same server and access method for the non-georeferenced images as for the georeferenced ones.
We propose that we add a new key value pair to the Solr record. The key would be ‘georeferenced’ and the values would be true or false.
The Solr record would have a bounding box, but the bounding box would be approximate.
A layer whose Solr record ‘georeferenced’ field has a value of false would behave in every way like a regular layer except that
on preview, the layer would open in a new openlayer window.
Since the URL for accessing a non-georeferenced layer is different from a regular WMS call, there will also be some code that will deal with that, but it can easily work off the ‘georeferenced’ metadata tag. (here is an example
notice the CQL_FILTER argument. This is a working URL, though the Geoserver is on a development system and may go down without notice.)
Since we have a pressing need for this modification, we would of course do the development and make the code available as an OGP module.